Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sacramento Valley Farm Road

Another 11"X14" acrylic painting on stretched canvas for my two-man show in February. This was painted in a slightly "rougher" style with less blending and softening of edges. The sky was really painted alla prima, something that I rarely do simply, because it is hard and I have the unfortunate tendency to over work my paintings. Alla prima -style painting is all about command over your medium and the sagacity to gladly accept the fresh sketch-like quality you end up with. Actually, the field, road, and puddle are somewhat alla prima - looking as well, even though I put in some extra work into it after my first go-around. Here too, squinting helps you get to to that higher plane of painting... alla prima.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this a lot. It reminds me of a winter sunset in my part of the UK

Katherine Plumer said...

Ooooh, I just love that one! Feels like home to me. :-)

Autumn Leaves said...

I think this is stunning, David. I've seen scenes so similar in past field training days with one of my dogs. That sky is gorgeous, the ground perfection.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

This one jumped off my screen...or maybe it was me jumping around in my seat....what a scene! Wow doesn´t do it justice.

Bonnie Luria said...

Love the golden wash over that horizon. Another stunning piece David.

David Lobenberg said...

I am so glad you all appreciate this one (Sue, Katherine, Autumn, Cynthia, and comrade Bonnie)! More of my two-man paintings to come, and I would appreciate your comments...the good, the bad, and maybe even the ugly, although that may throw me into a fit of depression... but never hold back on the honesty of any critiquing...that's how we all grow as artists!

Jane said...

I went for a little tour to see all you blog. Just eye opening!