Monday, March 1, 2010

A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

What's the title of this post got to do with these two paintings? Not much. I just like this old and oh-so-true ancient Chinese proverb! I"m posting these two 8"X12" acrylic paintings of mine, because this is an assignment in my college acrylic painting class that I'm teaching this semester. I promised to post both paintings for my students so that they would have my example to look at as they work on theirs. We are painting from a reference photo that I found on the photo site, Flickr. Last Saturday, I showed everyone how to quickly lay in (with a big flat brush) the sky and field. Then I demoed how to "block in" the foreground trees with a dark violet/green. The trees literally looked like blocks. Then we blocked in a light yellow/green for the sunlite portions of the foliage. Finally, I painted in "sky windows" to "feather out" the trees and give them that natural tree or foliage look. My students have the option of laying in a meandering path of their own design. To finish this scene, they have to add more detail in the foreground and paint in a soft background tree line. Anyway... hereya go, my Art 334 students... something to look at while you are painting. What a pleasure teaching all of you! Every Saturday, you come to class bringing such great enthusiasm!!!

16 comments:

meera said...

Thanks for the explanation -if only I could 'watch' you paint.....

AutumnLeaves said...

Great job succinctly highlighting the process, David. Love the proverb; it does indeed fit the paintings.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

These are wonderful. Lucky students to have you for a teacher!

David Lobenberg said...

Meera, one of these fine days I need to make a video of me painting and this scene would be a good one.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Liz.

Celeste Bergin said...

I envy your students--I'd love to have seen these painted!

marry said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Buy Dissertation

Ginny Stiles said...

I sure wish you would have someone do a short video of you painting!

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you Celeste and Mary.

David Lobenberg said...

On my list of things to do, Ginny.

Sujit Sudhi said...

Can't think of a better title.
Its amazing how you make painting look so simple.

And thanks a ton for the visit to my blog.

Barbara M. said...

These are great David. Lucky students to have you as a teacher.

Take care,

Barbara

dominique eichi said...

Great demo and class project. Love it.

David Lobenberg said...

My pleasure, Sujit!

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Barbara and Dominique.

Dissertation Writing service said...

This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

MBA Dissertation Topics