Thursday, October 23, 2014

Lobenberg watercolor portrait evolution




First I sketched my subject from a reference photo. This was followed by using a large four inch flat brush ago paint in some abstract light-valued washes, almost at random. I then painted in my subject's spiky hair with a large round brush. After that, I darkened up my initial sketch lines with a 8B sketching pencil. Finally, I darkened and worked some more on the greenish background wash to pull out his face a little more. Noticed the variety of colors in his hair. Oops! Notice that I drew him at the wrong angle! Oh well. the painting still works! I'll do another study at the correct angle. Stay tuned, dear reader.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Such an unusual combination of looseness and tightness! Don't know how to describe myself here but really and always amazing, David.

Bro said...

Wow. Really great blog with lots of great work.