Thursday, July 21, 2011

Raining Yellow

When it rains, it pours and on this sunny, hot day, it was pouring yellow. I naturally paint yellow wet-on-wet and let this first bright wash go desert, bone dry. Next I paint her top, jeans, and sun cast shadow in juicy wet-on-dry and let it go dry. What the heck, it's not in the photo, but this is MY painting...I paint a puddle of yellow at her feet. The background goes in wet-on-dry accept for the garbage can. I wanted that a nice rich wet-on-wet. Next the side walk "grey" goes down wet-on-dry and then turned upside down to get a little bit of blending going on. Why blend with a brush when you can blend by holding the paper up, down, side ways and every which-a-way. What's a sidewalk without gum on it! Got some chin link in there and the deed is done!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

COOL FUN.

GRANNY FROM TAMPA

Carol Blackburn said...

This is totally awesome, David. Thanks so much for posting your progress shots and explaining what you did. I learn so much from you.

Dan Kent said...

Excellent - beautifully done. Love the result. I followed step by step and read it 3 times.

David Lobenberg said...

Anonymous,
Thanks, Granny from Tampa!

David Lobenberg said...

Carol, I'm so glad that you are learning a few things from me. That's partially what our art blogs are all about!

David Lobenberg said...

Great, Dan!

Autumn Leaves said...

So gorgeous, David.

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you, Autumn. I too love it when the sky rains yellow.

corinne60 said...

merci beaucoup!
c'est toujours très enrichissant de voir la progression d'une oeuvre.

David Lobenberg said...

Corinne, Thank you very much!

TRABAJO ARTESANO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara Muir said...

You are the master David. I'm on holiday in Nova Scotia and have been trying some watercolour with marking. A great technique. I believe I credited you with giving me the idea on my blog. This is gorgeous. I like the claim -- "this is My painting." A good thing to remember.

Your fan in Pugwash, Nova Scotia,

Barbara