Friday, February 4, 2011

Lilies of the Nile

Wow!...I can't keep my eyes off of the live Al Jazeera feed. I wish the citizens of Egypt the very best in their quest for democracy, but I digress. This is not a political blog screed. The blooms here is a watercolor that I have just completed for a workshop I am offering towards the end of this month. They are not lilies (as far as I know, but I'm not a botanist nor a gardener). This watercolor is 14"X18" and painted all wet-on-dry (except for the background that I first painted wet-on-wet) on 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper. The wet-on-wet background juxtaposed with the wet-on-dry foreground flowers (what the hell is the name of these guys?) create a beautiful sense of depth. Also note that I am rarely dissatisfied with accidental "blossoms" ( a big one in the lower right hand flower where the stamens are coming out). They just add to the richness and energy of the painting! Color palette on this one: Ultramarine and Phthalo blue, Burnt Sienna, Opera Red, Bright Violet, Hooker's Green, Veridian Green, and Bright Yellow.

15 comments:

victoria eugenia said...

Preciosa esta acuarela. Mis felicitaciones. Saludos. Victoria.

David Lobenberg said...

Gracias!, Victoria.

Janet Belich said...

They are Alstromeria, David. I had some in my garden when we lived in North Carolina and they are a favorite at the grocery store florists. Your interpretation does them justice !!

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautifully done, David.

Ginny Stiles said...

I want to say all those things that people before me said, David. But what I see in your exquisite interpretation is amazing negative shape, luminous transparent color, facile use of the brush, amazing light and dark, and excellent composition. I sound like a writer for an art magazine. Today it was my job to interview an artist for closed circuit TV in Fl so I am afraid those are words on my lips. (see my blog). But anyway...yours is one of my most favorite blogs. I am never disappointed...and you share so well. I'll bet you don't run with scissors either!

Anonymous said...

This. Is. Beautiful.

Paz

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you, Janet. Now I know their name, and you are right, they seem to be in all the grocery stores.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks much, Carol

David Lobenberg said...

Ginny, I was the craps on my P.E. football team, but some of those big, nasty lug nuts that use to run all over me wouldn't dream of taking me on in the facile brush work division! I'm flattered that you enjoy my blog!

David Lobenberg said...

Paz, Thank you Big Apple photo artist.

Myrna Wacknov said...

David, Exquisite as always.

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous piece, David. I too often find the blooms (of watercolor) work to my advantage.

Jane said...

Lovely...soft but at the same time strong.

Jan Blawat said...

Those are not alstromeria, they are simply azaleas. Soft, strong, colorful, delicate, inspiring azaleas. And they'll be blooming soon all over Sacramento.

Jane said...

The latin word for" Lily of the Nile " is Agapanthus.