Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Loose as a goose

Or should I have headlined this "Loosey Goosey?" Anyway, the point is that as I was looking at the photo reference, I quickly brushed in colors, shapes, and contours to help capture a likeness. The result is a quick, gestural (loosey goosey) watercolor. I plan on doing some slower refinement painting to bring it to completion. I will explore this approach more, because I think it can lead to an interesting portraiture style. We shall see. I'd love to hear what you think of this approach. Have you tried gestural painting like this?

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Looking amazing!

debwardart said...

Your work always amazes me - with just a few lines you already have a person! If I did that it would look like - blobs!

David Lobenberg said...

Crimson L. - let's hope it still looks amazing when its done. Pray for me. :-)

David Lobenberg said...

Deb Ward - I have always been a big fan of trad. asian art. It's all about more with less.