Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lobenberg's"2nd Annual Tour De Cluck" art extravaganza workshop!

Last year was the very first "Tour De Cluck" in Davis, California. The tour raises money to promote healthy food in the local school cafeterias. They sell tickets to tour residential, backyard chicken coups. One can drive, walk or bicycle. Davis is known nationwide as a HUGH bicycle town, and thus most people took the tour on bikes. In conjunction with the tour last year, I offered the 1st Annual Tour De Cluck art workshop. It was a huge success. My artists did fantastic chicken art in a variety of mediums, and donated some of their pieces for the silent auction tent set up at a local park on the day of the tour. Their art sold so well, that we were invited back this year! The workshop will be on May 7 and the event on May 14. The Chinese style rooster is a watercolor that I did last year to help promote the workshop. This year I decided to do the same rooster in acrylic on canvas. Which painting should I use for this year's promotion dear reader?

21 comments:

Liana Yarckin said...

I am loyal to watercolor. And your watercolors are FANTASTIC! What a wonderful community Davis is.

Lydie said...

This would be regrettable to use the same image twice, don't you think? each year a little change is a real surprise ... ;)

Autumn Leaves said...

I gotta tell you, David, that the second piece is magical for me. Gorgeous colors and I just love those grasses!

Dee Doyle said...

Love the rich colors and freshness of the "Chinese" watercolor. The othe rcould go in Carol Marine's "Chicken Challenge" on Daily Paint Works, another great group of chickens! Would love to see some of the student artists' work!

Studio at the Farm said...

The Chinese rooster is my favorite. And good for you, to support your community like that with your art!

David Lobenberg said...

Liana, watercolor is my first medium, but I'm loyal to acrylic as well. I do think, however that watercolor can be very conducive for certain subjects, and roses plus watercolor is a match made in heaven.

David Lobenberg said...

Lydie, I agree. In fact, during the workshop, I have an entirely different chicken image planned for myself and anyone in the workshop that would like to follow along.

David Lobenberg said...

Autumn,
the grass was somewhat of and accident, but I too love the way it came out and adds to the chicken image. Great minds think alike!

David Lobenberg said...

Dee, I'll have to check out Carol's Chicken Challenge. I did see her chicken (fantastic), but I need to check out the other participating artists. Thanks for the heads up!

David Lobenberg said...

Yep, its a great event and cause, Studio at the Farm. Glad you like my Chinese rendering.

Montse said...

You have done the same image twice, it´s fantastic David.

Un saludo desde Bilbao

David Lobenberg said...

Hello Montse (in Bilbao), Gracias!

wayne said...

Hi David.. it's great to revisit your art blog after a fairly protracted absence from the blogosphere (extenuating circumstances). I love the watercolor Chinese-calligraphic very free and vibrant painting best. But they're both great. Bonus: a very worthy cause! Best wishes, wayne

David Lobenberg said...

Hey, Wayne, mate...long time, no hear, and gladta hear fromya!

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Skizo.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

the top one is my favorite. Love rooster paintings!
I really like the 'tour de click'.

David Lobenberg said...

Mary, yep...the top watercolor painting seems to be winning out!

Barbara Muir said...

Decisions. Decisions. I ain't chicken to say, I just love all of your work. You decide.

Ciao,

Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

Barbara, well, I ain't chicken to say that I like em both...can't compare apples to oranges nor chickens to vultures...or parakeets to ground hogs, but I do believe that you can compare parakeets to cockatoos. I need some sleep!

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Skiz

Shirupa Gupta said...

The watercolor guy looks brighter...