Monday, December 8, 2008

It's a dundeal...the Lobentruck acrylic painting

This "Lobentruck" painting is like the Energizer Bunny...it keeps going and going and going. Ever visit Mike Bailey's blog? A fab. and passionate painter indeed. Last Friday, he traveled up to my neck of the woods (Davis/Sacramento) from Santa Cruz, where he lives, to do a demo painting of said truck for my City College water color class (who, of course, are also painting the Lobentruck as one of their last assignments for the winter semester!) We painted on the vertical and side by side. I did not complete my vertical version as I wanted to watch Mike perform his magic. Mike composed his painting so as to have the truck in a backyard-like corner with a garage or barn behind and a fence on the side. He slyly stuck a post in the ground to cast a marvelously contoured shadow across the hood of the Lobentruck! I also have posted one of my small Lobentruck h2o studies and at last, my completed acrylic painting.

10 comments:

Amber Massey said...

the watercolor looks great!! And how lucky the students were to have a guest! I wish we had guest artists when I took your classes!! By the way, are you going to or already had your winter art sale!?

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! Wish I coulda seen you guys working! You always come up with good ideas, boss.

Alright, I'm about done with mine. I just have a few little fixes and I will post.

Robin Weiss said...

Okay. now this has been fun!! Hey David!....I did a truck painting of my own and found out you guys were doing one too!..it's been a blast reading through yours and Mikes blog...Nice painting!!.....so between the three of us we have a watercolor, an acrylic and an oil....

I'm getting you linked to my site finally!....I'm so happy I finally fixed my computer problems...

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Good painting. That truck looks about ready to take us out for a beer.

Mike said...

Now that the world has seen my tail end in Blue Jeans . . .three times! . . . .maybe I should have stuffed em! Talk about a baggy backside!! I am hiding my face in shame!! ;-))

Dave, it was an absolute pleasure and a BLAST to be with you and your class. I learned a great lesson about teaching there! Thanks!

David Lobenberg said...

Hi, Amber! Aren't you on my email list? My winter sale was last Sunday, but I still have stuff. Call me if you are interested. How's school?

David Lobenberg said...

Damn! I should have invited you to the class, Terry. Just assumed you weren't interested in H2o! Looking forward to seeing your iteration of the "Lobentruck"

David Lobenberg said...

Congrats, Robin, on being back with the living...computer wise. I'm going to check out your truck!

David Lobenberg said...

Mike: We're at that age where we are suppose to have saggy rears as long as our art holds up, dude!

David Lobenberg said...

Don'tcha be getin me thirsty now, Onpainting (Bill).